Pounded yam with egusi soup. Egusi soup is popular in Western Africa. The soup is thickened with ground melon, gourd, or squash seeds. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores.
Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. Learn how to make Nigeria's most popular soup Egusi. Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. You can cook Pounded yam with egusi soup using 14 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pounded yam with egusi soup
- It’s of Yam.
- It’s of Egusi.
- You need leaves of Ugu.
- It’s of Offal.
- You need of Kpomo.
- It’s of Chicken parts.
- It’s of Stock fish.
- You need of Dried fish.
- It’s of Cray fish.
- Prepare of Grated scotch bonnets and onion.
- You need of Chili flakes.
- It’s of Palm oil.
- Prepare of Onions.
- Prepare of Seasonings.
This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup. In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups.
Pounded yam with egusi soup instructions
- For the pounded yam: feel wash and cut the yam pour to a pot and add water topping the yam with it cook until soft. Then pound it using mortar and pestle.till soft and no lumps..
- For the soup: wash the offal, kpomo and add to a pot then set on heat cook for 30 mns then remove from heat and drain the water, put it back to the pot and add water set on heat again add the stock fish (soaked) and the dried fish (soaked) add in, chicken parts add in grated scotch bonnets and onion? add in seasoning add garlic add in palm oil and chili flake..
- Keep cooking when it is almost done add the uguu leave use motto to pound egusi together with onions and add to the soup cook for few more minutes..
The Yorubas make efo elegusi while the Igbos make ofe egusi, all with similar ingredients but with. Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. Find out how to cook egusi soup with this It is one of the most popular soups prepared by most tribes in Nigeria with considerable variation and often eaten with dishes like Pounded Yams. In a recent video shared on Zion's official Instagram page, he was seen eating the popular Nigerian delicacy, Pounded yam and Egusi soup with his dad. Fans trooped to his comment section to commend the singer for exposing his son to the Yoruba culture while others have gushed over Zion's.