Spaghetti Squash Lasagna. Ladle half of the spaghetti sauce on top. Sprinkle with half of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Layer remaining squash mixture, spaghetti sauce, and mozzarella cheese on top.
Your meat sauce is almost ready for your spaghetti squash lasagna casserole. Now, remove the squash from the oven, and once it has cooled, you'll shred it into noodle-like pieces, making it perfect for layering into the lasagna casserole. Place spaghetti squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. You can cook Spaghetti Squash Lasagna using 13 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- It’s 1 of large spaghetti squash, roasted.
- You need 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 of onion, diced.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1/2 lb. of ground sausage (could also use ground beef or ground turkey).
- Prepare 2 cups of marinara sauce (jarred or homemade).
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need to taste of dried basil.
- Prepare to taste of Italian seasoning and oregano.
- It’s 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded.
- It’s 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese.
- You need of chopped parsley, for garnish.
Scrape spaghetti squash flesh into stringy noodles. How to make spaghetti squash lasagna. Start by roasting a whole spaghetti squash. I prefer to roast it whole to seal in moisture and flavor (more surface area = more area to dry out).
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna step by step
- You should already have your squash roasted when starting this recipe. Use a fork to remove the strands of squash from the shells and into a large bowl, if you haven't already done so, then set aside..
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8" baking dish and set aside..
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook until they are translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just a minute or so more, until fragrant..
- Add the ground sausage and cook until browned, breaking it apart as you cook. Drain any grease, if necessary..
- Add the seasonings and the marinara sauce to the skillet. Allow to come to a simmer and let simmer for 5 or so minutes, then remove from heat..
- Pour half of the sauce and meat mixture onto the bottom of the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly across the bottom. Then spread half of the spaghetti squash over the top of the sauce..
- Spread 3/4 cup of the ricotta cheese over the squash, then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the mozzarella and 1/4 cup of the parmesan cheese over the ricotta..
- Spread the remaining sauce and meat mixture over the cheeses and then top with the remaining squash. Repeat the layering of the remaining cheeses..
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then, uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. To brown the cheese more, switch the oven to broil after the 10 minutes are up and broil until the cheese is golden, about 2-3 minutes. Once done, sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers..
It's also a lot easier to cut when it's cooked! If I'm in a hurry, I just throw all the sauce on top. Then I top it off with mozzarella cheese, that when broiled becomes melted, bubbly, golden mozzarella cheese. Scoop cooked squash out onto a clean kitchen towel. Mix ricotta and parmesan cheese with egg then spread mixture on top of squash.