Healthy Shepard's Pie. This Healthy Shepherd's Pie calls for olive oil instead of butter, extra-lean ground beef, lots of vegetables, and a cauliflower-potato mash topping for a lighter take on the classic that's still FULL of flavor! Of course, you can make this with ground turkey like this Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pieor try my vegetarian Portobello Shepherd's Pie. Healthy Shepherd's Pie is a low calorie recipe that's lower in carbs, high in protein and fiber.
Add carrots first and saute until starting to brown and caramelize. Add onions and continue to cook. Add broth or water if needed. You can have Healthy Shepard's Pie using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Healthy Shepard's Pie
- You need 2 tbsp of virgin coconut oil.
- It’s 1 lb of ground turkey.
- It’s of cumin.
- You need 1/2 cup of ground flaxseed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of hemp seeds.
- You need 1 of red bell pepper, chopped.
- It’s 4-5 stalks of celery, chopped.
- Prepare 2 cups of mushrooms, quartered.
- It’s 1 cup of fresh basil, chopped.
- Prepare 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces.
- It’s 5 of carrots, chopped.
- You need 2 cups of peas.
- You need 2-3 of sweet potatoes.
This shepherd's pie is dairy, grain, legume, and sugar free, but most importantly it just might be the tastiest thing you've made for dinner in a long time. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to.
Healthy Shepard's Pie step by step
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium.
- Add turkey, and stir constantly until fully cooked.
- Add cumin, ground flax seed, hemp seed, peppers, celery, mushrooms and basil. Stir often and cook until softened, about 5 minutes..
- In another pot, boil the water and cook your carrots, peas, and broccoli..
- Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from the water, saving the water, and add to the turkey mixture. Stir well, and transfer into a glass casserole dish..
- Using the leftover water, bring back to a boil and add sweet potato. This will give it lots of flavour. Cook until pieces are fully cooked. Drain any remaining water, and mash with salt and pepper..
- Add mashed sweet potato on top of mixture, spread evenly, cover with tin foil, and bake in the oven at 400 for about 15 minutes. I like the potatoes to dry out a little like a crust, but for softer potatoes reduce time..
This shepherd's pie with cauliflower mash is a low-carb, healthier version of a great cold-weather dish. Enjoy this satisfying meal with a little less guilt. CLICK TO UNMUTE In England, the birthplace of this hearty dish, shepherd's pie is most often made with a ground lamb filling. In the States, it's more common to use ground beef. This shepherd's pie features the traditional minced lamb, but from there the recipe takes things in a sweet-and-savory direction. "This is a Moroccan take on shepherd's pie," says Maryam. "With lamb and turmeric simmered with cinnamon, raisins, and sweet potato.