Pounded yam with Egusi soup. Egusi soup is popular in Western Africa. The soup is thickened with ground melon, gourd, or squash seeds. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores.
Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. Learn how to make Nigeria's most popular soup Egusi. Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. You can cook Pounded yam with Egusi soup using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pounded yam with Egusi soup
- Prepare 1/2 of tuber of yam.
- Prepare 1 cup of egusi.
- You need 1/2 cup of red oil.
- Prepare 2 of large chopped onion.
- You need 5 of grind pepper.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 of tspn black pepper.
- It’s 1 of tspn salt.
- You need of Seasoning.
- Prepare of Spinach.
This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup. In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups.
Pounded yam with Egusi soup instructions
- Firstly peel the yam, wash it and add water to over cook until the water becomes starchy.
- Using motor and pistel pound the yam very well into it sticks together.
- Roll the pounded yam into a ball and place it into a cling film on the center and close sides of the film like I tie a wrapper..
- For the Egusi soup.
- Add onion and little water, mould ur Egusi into balls and set aside.
- Wash ur spinach with plenty water and shred.
- Put ur oil into an empty pot and stir frying until light.
- Add ur moulded egusi stair occasionally till it’s no loner sticking to the pot.
- Add ur seasoning, nutmeg, black pepper nd salt stir and cover, wait for d egusi to rise.
- Then add ur spinach stir and cover it to be a little bit soft.
- When it’s done u can serve.
The Yorubas make efo elegusi while the Igbos make ofe egusi, all with similar ingredients but with. Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. Find out how to cook egusi soup with this It is one of the most popular soups prepared by most tribes in Nigeria with considerable variation and often eaten with dishes like Pounded Yams. In a recent video shared on Zion's official Instagram page, he was seen eating the popular Nigerian delicacy, Pounded yam and Egusi soup with his dad. Fans trooped to his comment section to commend the singer for exposing his son to the Yoruba culture while others have gushed over Zion's.