Tex's Pastrami Reuben ('Rachel') 🐂🍞🍲🧀.
You can cook Tex's Pastrami Reuben ('Rachel') 🐂🍞🍲🧀 using 7 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Tex's Pastrami Reuben ('Rachel') 🐂🍞🍲🧀
- Prepare 2 slices of seedless rye bread.
- It’s 4-5 slices of pastrami.
- You need to taste of Swiss cheese.
- It’s 3 tablespoon of vegetable oil for frying.
- You need to taste of sauerkraut (see my recipe 'Tex's Small Batch Sauerkraut' in my profile).
- Prepare to taste of dressing (I'm using ranch, but the traditional dressing is Russian).
- It’s to taste of sea (or kosher) salt and freshly ground black pepper to season.
Tex's Pastrami Reuben ('Rachel') 🐂🍞🍲🧀 step by step
- Pan fry your bread on one side in a skillet on a high heat.
- Slice the Swiss thinly.
- Remove from heat, and smear both sides of the toasted side with dressing (I've seen recipes that use Thousand Island, or horseradish instead of Russian). Add the pastrami to the dressed side of one slice. Reduce the heat of your skillet to a medium low heat.
- Put the sauerkraut in the pan and add the sliced cheese on top. Cover with a pan lid and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- As the cheese just starts to melt, remove it, and the sauerkraut, from the pan and position on top of the pastrami. Increase the heat in the pan to a medium high heat.
- Put the base in the pan and cover with a pan lid again until the bread is toasted.
- Add the lid of the sandwich and flip over on to the un-toasted side. Cook until toasted.
- Finally, remove from the pan, add extra dressing if required, and serve hot.
- Remember, the way to serve a Reuben or Rachel is "Axis, Neutral, Ally": Kraut, Swiss, Russian 😺.