Indonesian Grilled Chicken (Ayam Panggang). First to make the spice paste, blitz chilies, shallots, garlic and lemongrass in a food processor to form a smooth paste. Heat up oil in a large wok or pan, and fry off the spice paste until fragrant and dry. Add the chicken and make sure to seal the chicken in the spice paste.
The chicken is boiled in coconut milk and then grilled. There's so many wonderful ways to enjoy chicken, and this Indonesian-style Soy Sauce Grilled Chicken is an easy chicken dish for busy weekday nights. That sweet and spicy sauce that you've spread generously over the chicken will beautifully caramelize in the oven, leaving you with a slightly charred sticky coat of absolute deliciousness. You can have Indonesian Grilled Chicken (Ayam Panggang) using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Indonesian Grilled Chicken (Ayam Panggang)
- You need 1 kg of chicken wings.
- It’s 400 ml of coconut milk.
- You need 1 of medium galangal, cut to few chunks.
- You need 4-5 of lime leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of tamarind paste.
- You need of Salt, pepper and sugar.
- Prepare of Paste spices.
- Prepare 3 of shallots / onions.
- It’s 10-12 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 3-4 of red chillies, add more if you like !.
- It’s 3 of lemon grass.
- You need 1 dash of vegetable oil.
Prepare the grill to grill the chicken. First grill the Chicken both sides, then season with the sauce and continue grilling. When it's done, season with the rest of the sauce. Serve it with warm steamed white rice and cucumber.
Indonesian Grilled Chicken (Ayam Panggang) instructions
- Firstly, prepare your spices (shallots, garlics, lemongrass and chillies), and blend them all with some dash of oil until it creates a smooth paste..
- Heat up 3-4 tbsp of oil on a pan, sauté your paste spices on medium heat. Toss lime leaves and chunks of galangal. Cook it for about 10-15 mins..
- Toss chicken wings into spices ! Put some salt, pepper, sugar and tamarind paste. Mix it well and cook it to half cooked point. In the mean time, pre heat oven to 200 degree- grilled option..
- Finally, add coconut milk, keep stirring on medium heat for about 15-20 mins. When you think the chicken is fully cooked, transfer it to an oven tray, add some sauce on a tray but leave some on a pan..
- Keep stirring the remaining sauce in a low heat until its thicken..
- Put cooked chicken in your oven, 200 degree grilled option for about 10-15 mins until it creates charcoal colour on top. Mine wasn’t fully grilled, but I was starving!.
- Voila ! Ayam panggang is successfully cooked, you can put all the remaining sauce on top of chicken, top it up with some fried shallots and Indonesian sweet soy sauce. Enjoy :).
Add chicken and stir until the sauces coats the chicken pieces and the color of the chicken starts to change. Add sweet soy sauce and coconut water. Mix well, and bring to a boil. Ayam Panggang: A charcoal grilled chicken or veg meat marinated in sweet and spicy sauce. The chicken pieces are usually partially cooked in spice mixture prior to grilling.