Pounded yam and egusi soup. Egusi soup is popular in Western Africa. The soup is thickened with ground melon, gourd, or squash seeds. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores.
Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. Learn how to make Nigeria's most popular soup Egusi. Peel, wash and boil yam till its well cooked, pound, mold into balls and set aside. You can have Pounded yam and egusi soup using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Pounded yam and egusi soup
- It’s of Yam.
- It’s of Egusi.
- It’s leaves of Ugu.
- You need of Palm oil.
- Prepare of Chicken.
- Prepare of Stock fish.
- Prepare of Fish(scumbia).
- It’s of Ganda(kpomo).
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need of Fresh Pepper.
- You need of Fresh tomatoes.
- Prepare of Onions.
- Prepare of Maggi.
- It’s of Thyme.
- It’s of Curry.
Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup.
Pounded yam and egusi soup instructions
- Boil your until yam and pound it. Then put in a nylon and keep..
- Steam your chicken. Season it with Maggi, thyme and curry. Then add ur fish, kanda and stock fish and also steam them together. When it is soft, keep the stock aside..
- Get a clean pot and pour palm oil. Put ur grounded egusi and fry. Keep stirring for five minutes. Then put ur chicken stock(the chicken, kanda and stock fish u steamed). Pound ur fresh pepper, tomatoes and onions. Pour it into d soup. Add ur Maggi and salt. Allow to boil for 10 minutes..
- After it has boiled and gotten thick. Then add ur ugu leaves(make sure that it is already shredded or cut). Then allow it for 2 minutes. Then turn off ur heat and ur delicious egusi soup is ready. U can eat with garri, tuwo and pounded yam. But I made this with pounded yam. Enjoy.
In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups. The Yorubas make efo elegusi while the Igbos make ofe egusi, all with similar ingredients but with. Egusi soup is an appetizing soup to behold. Find out the many tricks of preparing this popular soup using the caking method. Nigerian Egusi Soup (Caking Method) [Video] Egusi and Ogbono Soup Combo Fried Egusi Soup [Video] Ofe Achara with Akpuruakpu Egusi [Video] Egusi Soup for Haters.