Pounded yam with Equsi soup. Egusi soup is popular in Western Africa. The soup is thickened with ground melon, gourd, or squash seeds. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores.
Pounded Yam is a staple in many West African homes, but it is not usually eaten by itself, it is often paired with many delicious African soups, and stews. Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. You can cook Pounded yam with Equsi soup using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pounded yam with Equsi soup
- Prepare 4 cups of equsi.
- Prepare 1 kg of beef.
- Prepare 300 g of pomo.
- You need 1 of moderate sized stock fish head.
- You need 200 g of dried fish.
- It’s 1 2/3 cup of palm oil.
- You need 4 tablespoons of blended crayfish.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of grandad pepper(atarodo + yellow pepper).
- Prepare 6 cubes of knorr seasoning.
- You need 1 teaspoon of seasoning powder.
- It’s 6 cups of cut ugu leave.
- Prepare 1 of moderate sized onions bulb.
- You need 1 of big sized yam.
- Prepare of Water.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of Salt.
This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. Find out how to cook egusi soup with this It is one of the most popular soups prepared by most tribes in Nigeria with considerable variation and often eaten with dishes like Pounded Yams.
Pounded yam with Equsi soup instructions
- Wash the meat into a put, add salt and seasoning powder. Put on fire and allow to steam for 5mins. Add onions. Add water and allow the meat to cook..
- Wash the stock fish and kpomo. Add it to the boiling meat. Wash and debone the fish and set aside. wash the leave and set aside..
- Blend the Equsi, pour it in a large bowl add onions and 2/3cup of palm oil. Mix properly using your hand. Press while mixing..
- Check if meat is soft, add the dried fish, pepper, crayfish and palm oil. Add the cubes. Allow to boil for about 5mins..
- Add the mixed Equsi, DO NOT stir. Cover and allow to boil for the Equsi to form small small lumps. Stir and taste for salt. Add if necessary..
- Add the ugu leave and stir. Allow to boil for 5mins. Put off the heat. Soup is ready..
- Peel, wash and cut the yam. Boil till its soft. Pound when soft..
- Serve the food..
Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup. In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups. The Yorubas make efo elegusi while the Igbos make ofe egusi, all with similar ingredients but with. In a recent video shared on Zion's official Instagram page, he was seen eating the popular Nigerian delicacy, Pounded yam and Egusi soup with his dad. Fans trooped to his comment section to commend the singer for exposing his son to the Yoruba culture while others have gushed over Zion's.