Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake. Great recipe for Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake. My wife and I took a virtual trip to Iceland for her birthday during the pandemic through food and a video visit to see the Aurora Borealis, and our desert was a cheesecake-like blueberry treat made with Icelandic skyr yogurt and whipped. We had heard about skyr—essentially Iceland's version of a creamy, mild greek yogurt—but we had never tried it.
The thick texture of skyr makes it perfect to hold the shape of this no-bake cheesecake. Be the first to review this recipe Blueberry Cheesecake is where I'm starting. Nina explains the inspiration behind the healthy cheesecake actually began as a mug cake and an experiment with Skyr, an Icelandic, yoghurt-y product high in protein. You can cook Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake using 8 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake
- You need 2 of pre-made graham cracker pie crusts.
- It’s 16 oz of heavy cream or whipping cream.
- It’s 3 of x 5.3 oz blueberry Icelandic style skyr yogurt (Siggi's).
- It’s 1 pint of fresh blueberries.
- You need 2 of ripe bananas.
- It’s 4 oz of chopped walnuts.
- It’s 2 tbs of honey.
- You need 1 of small jar of blueberry preserves or fruit spread.
Like with most creative trips, the end-result was nowhere near a mug cake. And much as I love those, I'm so glad it didn't work out. 'Skyrkaka' or 'skyrterta' in Iceland, FYI. Skyr cake is a no-bake cake, served cold. The idea of skyr cake is, according to our very own decade-old research, probably maybe perhaps from the sixties.
Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use chopper or food processor to finely chop walnuts. Spread walnuts evenly over both graham cracker pie crusts..
- Heat pie crusts in oven for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and press walnuts lightly into crust. Pressing using parchment paper will help walnuts adhere to crust. Remove parchment when walnuts are pressed into crust..
- Slice bananas and place slices from one banana on top of walnuts on each pie crust. (1 banana per crust) Set crusts aside..
- Empty heavy cream or whipping cream into stand mixer. Turn mixer to medium high and thoroughly whip cream (about 3-4 minutes)..
- Empty 3 blueberry yogurts into mixer bowl with whipped cream. Using a spatula, gently fold the yogurt into the whipped cream, and mix well, but try to retain the fluff of the cream..
- Add 1-2 tbs of honey into cream mixture and mix well..
- Spoon half of cream mixture into each pie crust. Use spatula to level..
- Place half of fresh blueberries on top of cream mixture on each cake..
- Heat preserves/fruit spread in microwave until warm and easily spreadable, but not liquid. About 1 minute on medium high in microwave then longer at 20-second intervals until desired consistency..
- Spoon preserves/fruit spread over blueberries and cover most of the cream mixture on each cake..
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Each skyr cake makes 8 slices. Serve and enjoy!.
Spread the skyr over the apple rings and decorate with cake sprinkles. Skyr is a wonderfully smooth & creamy Icelandic style of yogurt cheese that is high in protein and is also fat-free! Because it is so creamy, it suits being made into a light and airy cheesecake – a no-bake blueberry version that looks stunning on your table after a sunset supper outdoors – how wholesome! Skyr packs an impressive set of nutrients. It's low in calories, fat and carbs, yet high in protein, vitamins and minerals.
Healthy Food Explained in Fewer than 140 Characters | Southern Icelandic Blueberry Skyr Cake
Always recall that healthy food for kids consists of a variety of food combinations from the four major food groups. As long as you are clever to strike a report as soon as every the food groups – dairy, meat protein, fruits, vegetables, and grains – youre every set. Here are some useful tips to get you started.
Food cravings for tasty, calorie laden treats are one of the banes of anyone trying to lose weight. Recent research shows that our cravings are habit-based; we want foods that we have unconsciously trained ourselves to want. If thats the case, we should be clever to train ourselves to want healthy foods and snacks instead.
Making healthy food different doesnt come naturally. We learn it on your own taking into account we adjudicate it is important to us. Here are five personal reasons I have arranged to create healthy food choices.
Undoubtedly, burning fat is more or less consuming healthy food. later than we eat right, eat healthy food, we complete not have to to-do not quite burning fat anymore. on the go out at the gym for hours blazing calories will not reduce your weight and burn acceptable of your fat as soon as you get not adjudicate what you consume. It means that on fire fat by unaided conduct yourself exercise is not enough. Yes, you can burn fat and lose some of your weight by produce a result exercise but if you do not maintain what goes in from your mouth, soon you will get incite the fat you burn. The root misfortune is controlling what goes into your body. And absorbing healthy food is the solution.