Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe). DIRECTIONS Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Pour over chicken, meatballs, smoked sausage, veggies, etc.
Stir in vinegar and soy sauce. This Simple Sweet 'N Sour Sauce Recipe has one step, literally. Picky eaters of any age will love this simple sauce. You can cook Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe) using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe)
- You need 1 liter of veg or chicken stock.
- You need 1/3 cup of light soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 cup of ketchup.
- You need 1 tbsp of cider viniger.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of orange juice.
- You need 5 of star anise.
- You need 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tsp of crushed ginger.
- It’s 1/2 of shredded carrot.
- You need 2 tbsp of light soft brown sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of dry chilli flakes.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of 5 spice.
- You need 1 of small sweet pepper, sliced.
- You need 1 of cornflour to thicken (optional, see steps).
It's got everything you need in a sweet and sour sauce, and you don't need any high-end ingredients. We tested it with chicken fingers, but it'd also work for stir fries, carrot sticks, shrimp and salmon—pretty much anything you need to convince a kid to eat. In a medium saucepan, combine pineapple juice, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir water, sugar, ketchup, pineapple, vinegar, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, steak sauce, and hot sauce together in a saucepan over medium heat.
Sweet n sour sauce (base recipe) instructions
- Chuck all in a sauce pan one at a time stirring to the boil..
- Either reduce to consistency, or thicken with corn flour. (reducing gives stronger flavour).
- Remove star anise before serving..
- REMEMBER MY TITLE SAYS BASE!!, I normally play not weigh, so I've increased the amount I've made and tried to weigh as I went, make your own tweeks to suit your tastes. Pineapple goes well as an additional sweetener..
Bring the sauce in the saucepan to a boil, stir the sauce with the cornstarch into the boiling sauce. Place cornstarch, water, cider vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce in a saucepan, then whisk and bring to heat and it will thicken in just a few minutes. And this is what you'll get – a beautiful glossy, shiny homemade Sweet and Sour Sauce. There are so many things you can use Sweet and Sour Sauce for. Heat oil in a small saucepan and add remaining ingredients and cornstarch mixture.