Pounded yam with Melon soup. Pounded Yam is a staple in many West African homes, but it is not usually eaten by itself, it is often paired with many delicious African soups, and stews. Then, we scoop some stew or soup over it and we eat it. Often time it's swallowed, but sometimes it requires a bit of chewing depending on the type.
Keep stirring until it is smooth and soft. If it is really thick, add some hot water. Nigerian most popular local soup made with melon seeds, locust beans, palm oil, pepper, dry prawn, smoked fish and a dash of spinach etc. You can have Pounded yam with Melon soup using 9 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Pounded yam with Melon soup
- It’s 1 of Yam tuber.
- Prepare 1 bunch of spinach.
- You need 1 cup of grounded melon(also known as egusi).
- You need of Spices and seasoning.
- Prepare of Palm oil 4table spoons.
- Prepare of Stock fish.
- You need of Beef or meat of your choice.
- Prepare 2 of Chopped red chilli.
- It’s 2 of Chopped onion.
Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Pounded Yam and Ogbono Soup – A tasty and hearty Nigerian soup made from Ogbono seeds (bush mango seeds) added with pre-cooked meat.
Pounded yam with Melon soup instructions
- Peel yam,wash,cook till soft and tender,pound it using mortar and pestle till smooth and soft,mould and keep in a warmer,keep a side 1.
- In a pot on flame, add 2cups of water,wash beef,stock and add,add seasoning and chopped onion,let it boil for 30mins till meat is soft and tender,add a cup of water,add spices and seasoning,add (red chilli)pepper,add palm oil,add grounded melon,cover let it boil and thickens,wash spinach and cut thinly, wash it thorougly again after cut,then add to the cooked melon,off flame and cover pot let the spinach simmer unflamely.
- Soup is ready,serve with pounded yam.
And paired with smooth, tasty and filling Pounded Yam for an extraordinary African meal experience! Nigerian Egusi Soup is a soup thickened with ground melon seeds and contains leafy and other vegetables. It is one of the most popular soups prepared by most tribes in Nigeria with considerable variation and often eaten with dishes like Pounded Yams. The hassles and difficulty involved in making pounded yam through the conventional way of using mortal and pestle has led many people to delete the meal from their family's menu. In recent times, the proliferation of an alternative — poundo yam.