Chwee Kueh (Water Cake). Chwee kueh (水粿) literally translates to water cakes! They are tasteless, with a jiggly and slightly chewy texture, but tastes amazing when paired with the preserved radish topping. What you need to make chwee kueh.
The star of the dish (in my humble opinion) is the topping – chai poh. Chwee kueh or 水 粿 literally means "water cake" and hence in Hokkien dialect, they are called chwee, means water and kueh from Malay language means cake. This popular breakfast food is of Teochew origin. You can have Chwee Kueh (Water Cake) using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chwee Kueh (Water Cake)
- Prepare of Chwee Kueh Batter.
- Prepare 1 cup (150 g) of rice flour.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon (15 g) of wheat flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of water.
- You need 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of boiling water.
- You need of Chai Poh Topping.
- It’s 1 cup of chai poh (salted preserved turnip).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 8 of chopped shallots.
- You need 1 tablespoon of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of minced dried shrimp.
- You need 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of water.
FOR THE CHWEE KUEH BATTER — Mix the rice flour, wheat flour, salt and water together. Once it's smooth, mix in the boiling water. Heat up the steamer, oil the bowls. Chwee kueh (Chinese: 水 粿; pinyin: shuǐguǒ; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: chúi-kóe; lit. 'water rice cake'), also spelt chwee kwee or chwee kweh, is a type of steamed rice cake served with preserved radish.
Chwee Kueh (Water Cake) instructions
- FOR THE CHAI POH TOPPING —Soak the chai poh in water, rinse and drain. But not too much so that it retains some saltiness..
- Chop the dried shrimp, soak and drain. Mince the shallots and garlic..
- Mix the corn starch with the water..
- Heat up oil in wok. Fry the shallots, garlic and dried shrimp. Add the chai poh and fry till fragrant. Add caramel soya sauce, corn starch mix, salt and sugar..
- FOR THE CHWEE KUEH BATTER — Mix the rice flour, wheat flour, salt and water together. Once it's smooth, mix in the boiling water..
- Heat up the steamer, oil the bowls. Making sure the batter is well mixed before pouring out into bowls and steaming for 20 minutes. (Afternote: fill a third to half of bowl so that final result is thinner and softer.).
- Drain the excess water, and let the chwee kueh cool down before scooping it out and add the chai poh topping. Alternatively, you can also top it with curry chicken..
Chwee kueh is a popular breakfast item in Singapore, Thailand and Johor, Malaysia. Originating from Teochew cuisine, eaten in China, Singapore, Thailand, Johor, Malaysia and certain parts of. Chwee Kueh is a famous dish that almost everyone in Singapore would have tried before, or if not, would at the very least know about. Chwee Kueh, literally known as steamed water rice cake, has a very simple recipe. Just mix rice flour with water and some basic condiments such as salt and oil, then steam it to get the rice cake.
This Weeks Top Stories About Healthy Food | Chwee Kueh (Water Cake)
Always recall that healthy food for children consists of a variety of food combinations from the four major food groups. As long as you are clever to strike a bill as soon as all the food groups – dairy, meat protein, fruits, vegetables, and grains – youre every set. Here are some useful tips to acquire you started.
Food cravings for tasty, calorie laden treats are one of the banes of anyone aggravating to lose weight. Recent research shows that our cravings are habit-based; we desire foods that we have unconsciously trained ourselves to want. If thats the case, we should be able to train ourselves to want healthy foods and snacks instead.
Making healthy food unconventional doesnt arrive naturally. We learn it without help considering we judge it is important to us. Here are five personal reasons I have approved to make healthy food choices.
Undoubtedly, blazing fat is very nearly absorbing healthy food. behind we eat right, eat healthy food, we accomplish not have to objection roughly alight fat anymore. involved out at the gym for hours blazing calories will not edit your weight and burn enough of your fat in the manner of you get not find what you consume. It means that burning fat by without help proceed exercise is not enough. Yes, you can burn fat and lose some of your weight by behave exercise but if you pull off not preserve what goes in from your mouth, soon you will get back the fat you burn. The root difficulty is controlling what goes into your body. And absorbing healthy food is the solution.