Au Gratin Potatoes. Bribe Your Kids w/ Fries And Watch Their Veggies Disappear! These homemade au gratin potatoes are always welcome at our dinner table, and they're so simple to make. A perfect complement to ham, this homey potato gratin also goes well with pork, chicken and other entrees. —Cris O'Brien, Virginia Beach, Virginia Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes.
The humble potato gets the red carpet treatment in this easy yet luxurious recipe for potatoes au gratin Sliced Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (you can use either, but don't use a combination as they cook at different rates) are layered with half-and-half or heavy cream, topped with butter and grated cheese, then baked until golden and bubbly Feel free to play around: Add leeks, onions, garlic. Next, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour until smooth and cook for a minute or two. You can cook Au Gratin Potatoes using 9 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Au Gratin Potatoes
- It’s 4 of Russet Potatoes cut apx. 1/4 in thick.
- Prepare 1 of yellow onion slices into half rings.
- You need 1/2 stick of butter.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- Prepare 3 TBS of flower.
- It’s 2 cups of milk.
- You need 1 of small bag shredded triple cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
Slowly stir in milk, garlic, dried onions, salt, and pepper and cook on low until boiling. Arrange some of the potato slices, edges overlapping, in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish. Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.
Au Gratin Potatoes instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter a 9×13 glass baking dish..
- In a medium-size pot, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour, garlic powder, and salt. Stir constantly for one minute..
- Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened..
- Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds..
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish and top with the onion slices. Then pour half the cheese mixture on top..
- Repeat step 5 with remaining potatoes, onions, and cheese mixture..
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. (Or longer if you desire a crisper finish.).
- Set aside to rest for 15 min then it's ready to serve..
In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. In a large saucepan, bring cream, milk, salt and garlic powder to a boil. Cheesy, creamy au gratin potatoes made with three types of cheese for an incredible side dish everyone will love! My dad's famous au gratin potatoes recipe is easy to make and filled with cheesy goodness in every bite. Perfect for holidays or anytime you need a delicious, vegetarian side!