Pounded yam and egusi soup. Egusi soup is popular in Western Africa. The soup is thickened with ground melon, gourd, or squash seeds. Look for the seeds in African or International grocery stores.
Other food in the swallow group includes fufu – made from cassava flour, Eba, Amala, and more. Learn how to make Nigeria's most popular soup Egusi. Peel, wash and boil yam till its well cooked, pound, mold into balls and set aside. You can cook Pounded yam and egusi soup using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pounded yam and egusi soup
- You need of Yam.
- It’s of Salt.
- You need of Sugar.
- Prepare of Water.
- You need of Egusi soup.
- You need of Egusi seed powder.
- You need of Red oil.
- Prepare of Spices.
- Prepare of Seasonings.
- Prepare of Grated onion and red pepper.
- It’s of Spring onion.
- It’s of Veg leaves of ur choice.
- Prepare of Stock meat.
Melon soup also known as egusi soup is a popular soup recipe in the Western part of Africa. This soup is best served with pounded yam, fufu or eba. Egusi soup and pounded yam is such a mouthwatering and appetising dish to behold. Egusi soup is unarguably the most popular Nigerian soup.
Pounded yam and egusi soup instructions
- For the pounded yam: peel the yam and cut into medium size. Wash and settle in a cooking pot. Add water to cover the. yam and add salt and sugar to balance the taste. Boil for about 15-20 mins and turn off the heat, be sure that the water is not completely dried because you will need them while pounding.
- Pick with a fork and transfer in to mortar and go ahead and pound wit pestle. Pound until the yam are seedless and can easily be molded, you can add warm water(preferably used water from boiling the yam) and pound until u have a smooth soft pounded yam..
- You can mold as you wish but i use plastic containers wit little vegetable oil inside. Fill the container with the pounded yam and gently pull out to achieve the desired shape..
- For the egusi soup: place the red oil in a clean pot and add little grated onion, let it saute for some second and add the grated red pepper and onion. Fry until it change the colour and add egusi powder, turn continuously until the aroma start knocking ur nose😃..
- Add spices, seasonings, spring onion and stock meat.
- Turn well and cover for 15 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add sliced vegetable leaves of ur choice.
- Let it cook for some minutes and serve.
- It's oll about team6😃 enjoy 🥰🥰.
In my few years as a food blogger and Nigerian food lover, I have learned that different recipes exist across different Nigerian ethnic groups. The Yorubas make efo elegusi while the Igbos make ofe egusi, all with similar ingredients but with. Egusi soup is an appetizing soup to behold. Find out the many tricks of preparing this popular soup using the caking method. Nigerian Egusi Soup (Caking Method) [Video] Egusi and Ogbono Soup Combo Fried Egusi Soup [Video] Ofe Achara with Akpuruakpu Egusi [Video] Egusi Soup for Haters.