Magwinya (fat cakes). Known as vetkoek in South Africa and fetcook in Zimbabwe, the treat by any name translates to "fat cakes"—and while there are slight regional differences, they all involve frying lightly sweetened batter in oil. To any Tswana-speaking person, magwinya, also known as fat cakes, need no introduction. To the rest of the world, this is what puts a smile on the faces of millions of people in Botswana and South Africa.
Pour the warm water into the flour mixture gradually, stir until the mixture is soft but not too watery or runny. Pour half a cup of warm water and yeast in a jug so it starts bubbling. Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour the yeast mixture and stir. You can have Magwinya (fat cakes) using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Magwinya (fat cakes)
- Prepare 3 1/2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 5 g of yeast (half a packet).
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tbs of sugar.
- You need 1-2 litre of oil.
- You need of Warm water.
Pour the warm water into the flour mixture gradually, stir until the mixture is soft but not too watery or runny. Magwinya is one of the most enjoyed South African food. Magwinya is also known as fat cakes or amagwinya or vetkoek or puff puffs. To get started with this particular recipe, we must prepare a few components.
Magwinya (fat cakes) instructions
- Pour half a cup of warm water and yeast in a jug so it starts bubbling..
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour the yeast mixture and stir..
- Pour the warm water into the flour mixture gradually, stir until the mixture is soft but not too watery or runny..
- Knead the dough with your hands for about 10 to 15 minutes (don't skimp on the time to avoid hard magwinya). You can use a mixer if you have one with dough hooks until dough pulls away from the bowl..
- Cover the dough with a cloth or plastic and let it rest for at least 1 hour at room temp..
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to avoid sticking. Cut with round or rectangular cutters..
- Fry in hot oil until golden.
Here is how you cook it. The ingredients needed to make Amagwinya(Fat. Magwinya (aka "Fat cakes") are an enormously popular treat in Botswana (as well as other countries in Africa). They are a popular dish for many street vendors as well as served to workers/volunteers while setting up for weddings or other functions and even served at funerals. They are loved for their tastiness and simplicity.