Mincemeat. Mincemeat is a traditional English treat that is usually used as filling for mince pies during Christmas, but it tastes great mixed with vanilla ice cream, as well. This recipe uses butter instead of the traditional suet, which makes this mincemeat suitable for vegetarians. Mincemeat is as traditional as the day itself, even though the pies are eaten from early November onwards—with some starting even earlier.
Many modern recipes contain beef suet, though vegetable shortening is sometimes used in its place. Variants of mincemeat are found in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico, northern Europe, Ireland, South Africa, the United Kingdom. Of the many traditional British dishes that have undergone some form of alteration over the years, mincemeat has probably changed the most. You can have Mincemeat using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mincemeat
- You need 600 grams of apple, very finely diced.
- You need 300 grams of butter (or vegan shortening).
- You need 450 grams of Thompson raisins.
- It’s 275 grams of golden raisins.
- It’s 275 grams of currants.
- Prepare 450 grams of brown sugar.
- Prepare 500 ml of orange marmalade (I use dark).
- You need 275 grams of mixed citrus peel.
- Prepare 100 grams of citron peel.
- Prepare 75 grams of slivered almonds.
- You need 10 grams of cinnamon.
- Prepare 2 grams of ground cloves.
- You need 2 grams of ground cardamom.
- You need 5 grams of ground allspice.
- You need 125 ml of brandy or rum.
That is largely due to the common omission of mincemeat's two key ingredients: Meat (traditionally beef or lamb) and suet. Mincemeat developed as a way of preserving meat. Mincemeat is (more often than not) just a mixture of chopped boozy, spiced fruit that is widely popular in the UK. It is traditionally served around Christmas — often times baked into pies.
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat..
- Let simmer 45-60 minutes, until the dried fruits are plum and the mixture begins to thicken..
- Let cool to room temperature, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container, up to 1 month,.
In order to understand how this spiced fruit recipe came to be called mince meat we have to take a look at history. How to Make Homemade Mincemeat In a large pan, melt butter. Add water, fruits, spices, sugar, and alcohol. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. A friend gave me this recipe for mincemeat many years ago.