Classic Shepherd's Pie. A savory base of ground beef and vegetables in tangy tomato gravy and topped with a layer of buttery mashed potatoes. It's the perfect comfort food for your hungry family. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
DIRECTIONS Heat oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and half of the salt and pepper. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). You can cook Classic Shepherd's Pie using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Classic Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 400 grams of Ground Beef.
- Prepare 1 large of Onion, chopped up.
- You need 5 large of Potatoes.
- Prepare 1 medium of Carrot, diced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Green Peas.
- It’s 5 medium of Champignons, sliced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Milk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Water.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Butter.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Olive oil.
- It’s 2 clove of Garlic.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce.
- You need 1 of Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Seasoning.
- Prepare 1 of Cheddar Cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Corn.
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Wondering how to make a traditional shepherd's pie? Our version of this classic comfort food is made with garlic mashed potatoes and flavorful ground beef. It's so easy, it practically makes itself.
Classic Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Making the Mashed Potato: Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil in water for about 20 – 25 minutes, until you are able to poke through the potato easily with a fork. Remove from water and allow potatoes to cool. Mash potatoes in a large bowl with a potato masher or a fork. Add the milk and butter in gradually. Blend in until the mash becomes a smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- Making the Meat Filling: Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Saute the clove and onions for a few minutes. Next, add carrots and mushrooms. Saute till the carrots are soft. Add the ground beef. Stir fry till beef turns light brown. Add the dark soy sauce for color. Add the green peas and corn. Add salt, pepper and seasoning to taste. Add water and allow to simmer for about 10 mins. Add more water if needed so that there is some gravy and the beef does not dry out..
- Making the Pie: Transfer the meat filling to a baking dish and level it out so that the filling covers the entire base of the dish. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese over. Next, add the mash on top of the meat filling and spread it out with the back of a spoon (do not press the mash down into the filling otherwise too much gravy will seep into the mash). Use a fork to rough up the surface of the mash. Baste the mash with a little butter and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake in oven on max heat for about 15 mins or until the potato crust turns golden brown and slightly crispy..
Gordon's take on a real British classic. It's all in flavouring the mince. From Gordon Ramsay's The F Word#GordonRamsay #Cooking Gord. The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie – AKA Shepards Pie or Cottage Pie. Ground Beef (or lamb) with vegetables in a rich gravy, topped with cheesy mashed potatoes, and baked.